Friday, June 17, 2011

PALACE OF VERSAILLES: La Petite Venise

I find that visiting a tourist attraction loses it's novelty if it isn't appreciated to the fullest. Sometimes it feels as though we're visiting these attractions for the sake of it, without stopping to savour the fact that we're immersed deep in a piece of french history preserved for the admiration of thousands. 

Being as un-cultural and un-artsy fartsy as I am, I cheated this time and watched Marie Antoinette, starring Kirsten Dunst, before visiting the palace where the film was set (and where Vogue was allowed access for the Marie Antoinette shoot). Interesting movie sets are etched in my memory and it thrills me when I recognize these in real life as I explore bits of Europe. Did you know a scene from The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was shot in Leadenhall Market


Palace of Versailles: this is a mere fraction of the tourists that inundated the palace rooms
A distinctive scene in Marie Antoinette where she partied until the sun rose 

LA PETITE VENISE: 
This salon de thé deep in the palace gardens of Versailles was surprisingly good for a restaurant that would've made a profit charging extortionist prices for passable food just because it was in a tourist hotspot. The dish I ordered was of course, the burrata cheese. Ever since I tried this at Amaranto Restaurant in London, I've had it every time I see it on the menu. It has a velvety creamy texture that melts onto your tongue without inundating your senses with a flavour that, if too strong, would've disguised the sheer perfection of its texture. 


Antipasti de la Petite Venise, assorted grilled vegetables and burrata cheese

Lemon and parmesan pasta: so simple yet oh-so-good.
Marinated big shrimps with orange, pink pepper and broad bean

Orecchiette with clams and broccoli 
Sliced grilled Angus beef fillet 
After lunch cafe creme

La Petite Venise:
Parc du Chateau  de Versailles - 78000 Versailles
Tel: 0139532569

No comments: