Saturday, June 9, 2012

BATH: The Mad Hatter's Tea Party



After two excruciating months of study hibernation, the sudden wave of freedom that crashed over me the moment I stepped out of the Lindley Hall after my Criminology exam seems almost surreal. Even the sunless grey skies that greeted us in Bath couldn't dampen my spirits. 

Bath was a wonderfully chaotic amalgamation of eating, attempting to walk to our next activity, being waylaid by the rain and so resorting to stopping and eating. This was interspersed with rowing, cycling and hilariously pointless debates in random pubs. 

One of our cafe pit-stops was at The Mad Hatter's Tea Party. Decked in delightfully quirky Alice and Wonderland themed paraphernalia, it was no wonder the place was packed. I had my first taste of teapigs tea which was so potent that I bought my first pack at Waitrose the moment I got back to London. The scones were exceptionally fresh and retained the moisture that so often eludes scones that have been left lying on a platter on a cafe shelf throughout the day. The choice was between Jane Austen tea and the Mad Hatter's tea but I'm really glad we chose the latter. 







 



Note to self: Not everybody craves adventure - some are perfectly content with familiarity. It struck me that a cafe does not have to serve completely new and innovative food to do well - a simple, generic menu can be equally successful if executed with exceptional skill. 


The Mad Hatter's Tea Party
5 Orange Grove
Bath
BA1 1LP

No comments: